DSOs (Distribution System Operators) in Europe have been able to operate in about the same way for more than a century.
– The DSOs are very traditional and are not organized to ease the implementation of innovative solutions. It is obvious that digitalization makes it possible to go from a grid with relatively low IQ to a very intelligent grid. Now I’m bantering, but we are standing on the edge of a rather radical change in work methods, business models and attitude towards the customers, says Ulrika Wahlström.
Barriers to overcome for DSOs
UNITED-GRID develops a toolbox of smart solutions that is to be plugged-in, almost as a piece of lego, in the already existing infrastructure of the DSOs. This is a cost-effective way of investing in the solutions of the future in order to be able to handle renewable energy, prosumers, cyber security and much more.
– We are now looking into the barriers a DSO need to overcome in order to adopt the innovations that make their future existence possible, says Ulrika Wahlström.
Five tips for how you as a DSO can work in order to better handle innovations
- Have a clear strategy on how innovations are to be implemented in your organisation
- Provide an environment that helps the growth of an innovation culture throughout the organisation
- Enhance possibilities for knowledge transfer
- Do your market research and adjust the plan according to new technologies, rules and regulations
- Create an innovation eco-system and surround yourself with actors that complement your own abilities
When it’s hard to get the attention of an audience it is often good to add something unexpected. Ulrika Wahlström is project innovation manager at IMCG and works with several EU projects. Here you can see how Ulrika added some good old music, ”Prisoners in paradise”, from the rock band Europe and connected it to the world DSOs are facing today.
In this webinar three different distribution system operators explain how they include innovative grid modernization tools and new grid operator responsibilities in their own daily business as a necessary step to tackle future challenges.
Technologies developed in recent years for the intelligent distribution grids are becoming more connected and hence vulnerable to cyberattacks.
In this webinar you will see a live demonstration by Smart State Technology over their advanced measurement Sensor, Open Platform and Analytics dashboards installed at Enexis, Strijp-S, in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
In this webinar, that was held on 3 November 2020, we demonstrate the UNITED-GRID toolbox. It has a unique dual approach, that will help DSOs to better manage their grid with advanced automized solutions and local supervision.
UNITED-GRID develops a toolbox and an open cross-platform, with a unique dual approach, that will help Distribution System Operators (DSOs) to better manage their grid with advanced automized solutions and local supervision.
Secure your future ability to commercialize a product or service developed in a project.
Parts of the UNITED-GRID team met in Paris on March 5th to discuss exploitable results of the project.
Research on cybersecurity for smart grids is crucial to ensure the safe operation of the power grid and to protect the privacy of consumers.
A workshop was arranged by UNITED-GRID on 2 December to give a better understanding of needs and worries for cyber security for the smart grid.
Lucile Lemius, ATOS Worldgrid, explains the work with the UNITED-GRID tool-box and cross-platform integration for demonstrator sites.
This film about the project explains how DSOs can benefit from the solutions that can be plugged in to existing systems.
Distribution system operators (DSOs) need to prepare for future challenges. This report helps them with defined key indicators to identify necessary actions.