The energy system is changing rapidly with an increasing amount of intermittent renewable energy, which requires new tools to monitor and manage the grid. UNITED-GRID develops a toolbox and an open cross-platform, with a unique dual approach, that will help Distribution System Operators (DSOs) to better manage their grid with advanced automized solutions and local supervision.
Connection of renewable DER (Distributed Energy Resources) means both challenges and opportunities for DSOs when balancing the grid. The future electrical distribution network, including at least 80 % renewable-based energy production, will require monitoring and control services, either close to the field and renewable DER, or close to the DSO’s centralized DMS.
– Distributed intelligence will be highly required in the near future. There will be a need of local smart nodes near the field to execute local algorithms. They will handle the high amount of data and avoid data overflow to the centralized SCADA system, says Lucile Lemius, at ATOS Vision.
As the energy system is changing, a lot of development is being done to increase the ratio of intermittent renewable energy that can be monitored by conventional Scada DMS system, for example better forecasting and better analyses of the load flow.
But all these developments have been implemented as much as possible into the central SCADA system of the DSO with its limitations versus a flexible, scalable and intelligent distributed model managed with the toolbox and cross-platform.
This new UNITED-GRID solution is based on the most advanced Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and is a link between ICT and operations technologies, to propose the most scalable and secure infrastructure. Its design has been studied and validated to offer the best guarantees in terms of redundancy, reliability and cyber security.
– This architecture will be mandatory in the future. The SCADA system isn’t the place to host advanced functions, since the technical environment is fixed and not flexible. That is why advanced functions should be located outside the SCADA system, says Lucile Lemius.
Lots of services in the open solution
UNITED-GRID provides an open solution that makes a bridge between the SCADA system and external sources. It includes a lot of services:
- Secure interfaces with cloud servers, web services and any existing and new actors through an open cross-platform (interoperability)
- Plug and play solutions embedding a various range of advanced solutions, including AI and optimisation solutions
- Distributed Smart Nodes that enable local supervision and control (through swarm computing and communication)
- Real-time automatized solutions (fault detection)
- Smart sensors
– It also offers high performance and processing capability, so the toolbox can embed any new solution, or even high demanding regarding performances such as AI, says Lucile Lemius.
Unique dual approach
The toolbox and the open cross-platform are the main components of a new IT architecture and provide a dual approach that is unique. The same environment can be used for both:
- Agile R&D developments and quick tests
- Industrial Deployments through a containerization concept
The solution developed by Atos is based on its Codex Smart Edge platform. This modern and open platform provides:
- Linux based Distributed Acquisition, Control, Processing and Communication Software
- Deployment through Interconnected Smart Nodes
- Docker Microservices based architecture
- Telecommunication capabilities compliant with IOT and Edge Computing* standards
- Enables Intelligent GWs with upgradeable services
- Processing simple logic to complex machine learning
- Designed for multiple Use Cases
- Built-in security
- Scalable from tiny IoT nodes to central systems
Webinar: Solutions for intelligent distribution grids
In this final online event of UNITED-GRID, we present the developed solutions for advanced forecast, congestion management, real-time monitoring, control and protection for future intelligent distribution grids.
Webinar about how to become active distribution managers
In this webinar three different distribution system operators explain how they include innovative grid modernization tools and new grid operator responsibilities in their own daily business as a necessary step to tackle future challenges.
Risk assessment for intelligent distribution grids
Technologies developed in recent years for the intelligent distribution grids are becoming more connected and hence vulnerable to cyberattacks.
Webinar about advanced measurement solution
In this webinar you will see a live demonstration by Smart State Technology over their advanced measurement Sensor, Open Platform and Analytics dashboards installed at Enexis, Strijp-S, in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
Webinar about optimising the grid in real-time
In this webinar, that was held on 3 November 2020, we demonstrate the UNITED-GRID toolbox. It has a unique dual approach, that will help DSOs to better manage their grid with advanced automized solutions and local supervision.
Avoid conflicts on ownership – sign agreements
Secure your future ability to commercialize a product or service developed in a project.
Workshop to bring solutions to the market
Parts of the UNITED-GRID team met in Paris on March 5th to discuss exploitable results of the project.
Poster presentation on security and privacy in smart grids
Research on cybersecurity for smart grids is crucial to ensure the safe operation of the power grid and to protect the privacy of consumers.
Communication workshop on cyber security
A workshop was arranged by UNITED-GRID on 2 December to give a better understanding of needs and worries for cyber security for the smart grid.
Lucile Lemius, ATOS Worldgrid, explains the work with the UNITED-GRID tool-box and cross-platform integration for demonstrator sites.
Solutions for intelligent distribution grids
This film about the project explains how DSOs can benefit from the solutions that can be plugged in to existing systems.
Five useful business and innovation tips for DSOs
Do you have a strategy for working with innovations in your company? Ulrika Wahlström has five tips to enhance your innovation capacity.